No, seriously, I was quite literally blown away. The winds in Monteverde were massive and unrelenting and the gusts were either gravely accentuated by poor construction materials in the hostel or the wind was just really that bad. My conclusion is a little bit of both, but primarily the latter. I can’t say I minded it though because 1) it reminds me of home, and 2) it was a relief to escape the balmy heat of the coast. Although I do miss comfortably sitting outside, I can’t complain about the nice change in environment, and by change, I mean a drop in 30 degrees in a matter of hours. One morning we were sitting in 93 degree heat just trying to breathe and not sweat on every surface we came into contact with (unsuccessful mission if you were wondering) and by nightfall we were bundled under blankets as the wind and rain pelted down while we seriously questioned the durability of the windows (the mission of durability was successful). But Costa rica isn’t known for its subtleties. Nonetheless, Monteverde is a rainforest oasis and we were always surrounded by green. No, literally, we were surrounded by lime green walls in our hostel. And in the shower. And on the chairs.
Sky Walk ($25 w/ student ID through the hostel- would have been $31 if booked there. Score!); A series of eight suspension bridges take you along the tops of the rainforest and the views are pretty great to say the least. There’s just something mystical about looking over the canopies in all their misty glory. Beware though, the bridges do sway (kindly refer to unrelenting wind above) and I probably should have taken some Dramamine… All in all, a great little excursion!
Jungle Night Tour ($20 through the hostel- $25 if booked there. Double score!); It was fun to walk through the pitch black jungle with flashlights, but it’s a one-and-done kind of activity for me. I mean, awesome in theory but a bit inefficient in practice. By some miracle we saw insects, a snake, a sloth from afar and a taruntula from not so afar.
Beso Espresso: Hands down the best mochaccino I’ve ever had. If you need more convincing of it’s greatness than that, I’ll just put it out there that they also roast their own beans in-house and their coffee is well-priced. Now how do you say not to that? That’s right, you dont. Sidenote: One of the nice things (among many) about travelling with your best friends is that you get to try even more food and drinks, whether they like your reaching arms or not. It’s mutual, so it’s fine. I hope. Sorry guys… The point being is that I can attest that the caramel and vanilla lattes are just as good!
Now we have found ourselves in La Fortuna, home of Arenal Volcano, but more on this lovely place later.
Prior to heading inland we had spent the week on the Pacific Ocean, starting in Sámara, a tiny beach town boasting all the things that come with being, well, a tiny beach town. We proved to be rookies though since we spent the first few days at the popular beach close to town, Playa Samara (I know, creative choice in name, right?). Luckily we wisened up on our last day and took a 20 minute bus to Playa Carrillo where we were rewarded with clearer water, more shady palm trees and 1/10 of the crowd (triple score!). Overall, Sámara is a great place to relax and unwind, and if you happen to like iguanas then you basically found yourself in paradise.
Next up was Tamarindo, a touristy beach and party town. If I had been blindfolded, airdropped there and told I was in Southern California, I wouldn’t have questioned it at all. I’m not saying it wasn’t great, but if it is authentic Costa Rica you are seeking you won’t find it here. Yet Tamarindo is popular for good reason; The coast is right there and you eat, drink and live on the warm sunny beach. We spent a good 90% of our time laying in the sunshine and cooling off in the ocean, watching unbelievably beautiful sunsets and enjoying drinks out of watermelons and coconuts. I even learned how to surf! The other 10% of my time was spent trying to escape the heat and crying over the loss of an ENTIRE jar of Nutella to a very sweet-toothed thief. I’m basically heartbroken but part of me is impressed they managed to finish it off in one sitting because that takes some serious skill, trust me I’d know.
My time in Costa Rica is quickly coming to an end and it’s almost time to wave goodbye and say hello to Peru. Unfortunately, between the two, I have 11 hours of flying and 22 hours of layovers (Merry Christmas to me!), so brace yourselves, more blog posts are coming.